发新话题
打印

[求助信息] 留学生可不可以申请TFSA

留学生可不可以申请TFSA

留学生可不可以申请TFSA

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

Who is eligible for TFSA

Who is eligible for TFSA Any individual (other than a trust) who is at least 18 years old, who is a resident of Canada and has a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) can be a holder of a TFSA.

Ken Jiang
taxsave@hotmail.com
250-508-8279

引用:
原帖由 victorian123 于 2009-11-16 12:33 发表
留学生可不可以申请TFSA
更正,请看下面网友的正确解释,留学生不可以购买TFSA。TFSA和一般的储蓄账户不一样,不是你自己可以在online banking,或者ATM机上随便说存就存,说取就取的。无论存取,你都要到银行里办理,就像一般的investment账户一样。

但是BMO的话,我们向需要的客户提供“电话和传真授权服务”,不方便经常来银行的客人可以签署银行的授权书,这样以后只要打个电话给自己的account manager,就可以不用亲自来银行,就办妥TFSA的购买和取现的手续。只要在家看着online banking的信息就知道已经完成了。

另外,当年取出来的部分,是不能在当年存回去的,而要等到第二年。我给你举个例子:TFSA限定每人每年可以买5000,如果今年年初你放进去了5000,9月份要交学费又取出了3000,那这3000块你今年就放不回你的TFSA了,你要等到第二年,第二年的时候你就可以一共放入8000(5000当年的,再加上3000之前没用的)了。所以像这样的规定,你要事先了解清楚适不适合你自身情况。

-----------------------------------------------
银行账户信息,定存投资,个人贷款,房屋贷款。如果你想得到更多的咨询或更快的回复,可以给我来电或email:
Lina Feng 冯莉娜
Financial Services Manager
Bank of Montreal
3481 Cook Street
Tel:(250)405-2355   
lina.feng@bmo.com

回复 1# 的帖子

TFSA 沒有立刻減稅的功能,存的是自己付稅後的钱。生息回报固然可以免税,但也是要一段长期的投资才能有实际的结果。也许可以先考虑RRSP,得到退税的金额候,转投资TFSA,效果比较好。投资TFSA也可以考虑分隔式基金(Segregated Fund)不但对CAPITAL 有保障,还有100% death benefits.  [universal-life@live.com]

Students be aware!

TFSA is only available to individuals with a valid SIN. The SIN international students hold are not valid SIN because it starts with the "9". It is technically a TIN, temporay insurance number.

Some of the financial representatives from the banks say that international student can. The reason for that is that they do not understand tax legislation.

To summarize, NO, the international student cannot have TFSA account.

To the above responses, please be responsible for your comments and please do not mislead innocent individuals.

To the students, please consult with qualified professional accounts such as a CA (chartered accountants) or a CGA (certified general accountants) for professional tax and accounting advice.

引用:
原帖由 CCTB 于 2009-11-17 14:30 发表
TFSA is only available to individuals with a valid SIN. The SIN international students hold are not valid SIN because it starts with the "9". It is technically a TIN, temporay insurance number.

Som ...
非常感谢这位朋友指出我的错误。我在银行里到现在为止其实还从来没给留学生开过这个TFSA账户,只是我看了网站上关于TFSA的介绍,说有Valid SIN,满18岁就可以了,呵呵,还真没了解到您提出的“SIN”和“TIN”的区别。

在这里向楼主和广大网友位之前提供的错误信息道歉!

我说吧,大家积极发言,我们才能懂得更多,了解得更透,再次感谢CCTB!

我请教了银行的一个资深FP,他向我解释说,TFSA跟RRSP,RESP一样,属于registered investment。所以即便是有9字头的SIN也是不能开的,必须是公民或永久居民才行。而且即便不是属于registered investment的产品,例如BMO的Rateriser GICs这些高利息定存,拿9字开头SIN的客人也是不能开的,因为银行的系统已经设置,根本就不让你进行操作。

-----------------------------------------------
银行账户信息,定存投资,个人贷款,房屋贷款。如果你想得到更多的咨询或更快的回复,可以给我来电或email:
Lina Feng 冯莉娜
Financial Services Manager
Bank of Montreal
3481 Cook Street
Tel:(250)405-2355   
lina.feng@bmo.com

回复 6# 的帖子

According to our information, international student visa holders with a valid SIN (even if it starts with 9) and proof or residence, can apply for TFSA.  The best way is to apply for one and see what happens.  

It is good advice to consult accounting professional as suggested by CCTB above.  However, it is an assumption that all CGAs and CAs are tax experts who can solve all Tax related questions.

There is really no tax benefit for any international student to apply for TFSA. The main reason is that international students most likely have enough tuition credit against any sources of income. As I said before, financial institution might encourage students apply for one. The reasons may be:
1. Student will most likely not going to be liable for tax, let alone interest on the $5,000 savings. (interest would be less than 100). Therefore, even though international student applies for TFSA and CRA could disallow the tax free benefit, they will still not going to be taxable anyway.
2. Financial institution are trying to promote sales and other types of service.

I am not gonna argue with your so-called source of information. Information is information. Tax legislation is another story.
To the last comment above, no one is making that assumption. Plus, you don't even need a tax expert for a basic TFSA question.

回复 9# 的帖子

Please take it easy.  It was NOT meant to get you all worked up and upset.

The original question was whether student visa holders are eligible.
Whether there are any tax benefits for student visa holders to open a TFSA seems to be a different matter as far as this discussion is concerned.

My comment about CGA and CA was based on the fact that I was referred by my CA to another CA on tax matters.  No offense intended.

Your comments and contribution are well taken and appreciated.

I rest my case. Thank you again.

发新话题